A growing number of sustainable and economically-viable recycling programs offer companies site-specific solutions for the collection and recycling of used release liners, allowing them to reduce both their carbon footprint and land filling costs.
FINAT is organizing its inaugural FINAT Recycling Awards Competition to raise awareness for these recycling programs, to recognize efforts made by the industry, and to promote best practices in liner recycling. The competition will culminate in the announcement of the winners at the FINAT World Congress in Monaco, held June 5-7, 2014.
“Release liner recycling is picking up pace. More and more, recycling initiatives are offering turnkey solutions to recover a valuable secondary material that no longer needs to go to waste. Spent paper release liner is a high-quality feedstock, already re-used in products ranging from new liners and copy papers to wall insulation. Likewise, PET and PP liners are reground and granulated and used in a wide range of applications, such as new silicone film and outdoor jacket insulation. The FINAT Recycling Awards Competition was created to recognize the advances these programs are making in our industry,” explains Jacques van Leeuwen, chairman of the FINAT Recycling Awards Competition.
Eligible projects will be evaluated based on a comprehensive set of criteria, divided in three categories:
1. Achievements (volume and percentage recycled) – How much liner (in volume and percentage) does the company recycle? Is this traceable? Does the company recycle other secondary label materials?
2. Communication and promotion – Is the company actively involved in the promotion of release liner recycling? Is the company making efforts to encourage partners/customers to engage in recycling?
3. Innovation / opening of new markets – Is the company using a new/innovative approach to logistics or recycling ? Is the company representing a new end user market for liner recycling?
There are two award categories:
1. Self-adhesive label end users
2. Self-adhesive label converters
How to apply
All entries must be submitted by Friday May, 2, to the FINAT Secretariat. To apply, complete the application form at http://alturl.com/i3tyt
All entries will be judged by an independent jury comprised of expert representatives from NGOs in the field of recycling of both paper and plastic.
For more information, contact the FINAT’s recycling manager, Mark Macaré at email@example.com or visit the FINAT recycling portal at http://finat.com/en/Sustainability/Recycling-Portal/Recycling-Awards.aspx