Steinhauser was established in 1905, in Cincinnati, OH, USA by Albert Steinhauser. Known then as A. Steinhauser & Son, the company offered lithographic printing, mailing, and copy services. According to the company, Albert instilled integrity into his business practices, developed innovative solutions for his customers, and consistently delivered quality printing. These values have been engrained in every generation of Steinhausers who have led this company in the past century and have secured Steinhauser as a respectable and dependable printer among customers and peers alike.
Through the 60s and 70s with Albert’s son Wilbur leading the company, they began investing in new equipment, including a web press. After two years of experimentation, Wilbur was able to develop technology to print up to four colors on two sides and apply glue strips, scores, and perforations in a single pass. His perseverance to develop this technology set them apart from their competition.
In 1983, Robert Steinhauser, Wilbur’s son, took ownership of the family business, now located in Newport, KY, USA. Following in his father’s footsteps, Robert invested in more equipment and worked with customers and suppliers to develop new innovations in printing. The most notable innovation was becoming the first offset printer to run plastic in-mold sheet-fed labels.
When Tara Steinhauser Halpin and Trevor Steinhauser took ownership of the business as president and vice president, respectively, in 2007 they became the fourth generation of owners but the first multiple-interest owners in Steinhauser history. With over a century of family history firmly established, the sibling team set out to secure the legacy and future of the business in a challenging economy.
In 2008, Tara and Trevor moved forward with their plan to become solely focused on printed packaging products, in doing so they sold their commercial offset business and equipment. Committing to this major strategic plan meant reinventing Steinhauser as they had known it for the past 100 years. This transformation included investing in additional flexographic equipment and an HP Indigo digital web press in 2010.