Supported by patrons including 3M, International Paper, and Hewlett-Packard (HP), SGP is recognized as a global leader in eco-friendly innovation and best practices for the printing industry. In addition to certifying printers who comply with rigorous environmental best practices, the organization conducts conferences, seminars, academic studies, and sharing sessions to help print manufacturers and print buyers create sustainable supply chains. The newly elected board is made up of print professionals from all backgrounds, including:
- Technical Committee Chair Marci Kinter, SGIA
- Secretary Jodi Sawyer, FLEXcon
- Treasurer Doreen Monteleone, FTA
- SGP Foundation Chair, Jonathan Graham, TE Connectivity
- Chair Lynn Krinsky, Stella Color
- And 14 other professionals from respected corporations, government agencies, and educational institutions
- At the helm is Brittany Sutphin, Executive Director. Brittany launched her career in the printing industry five years ago at the Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA), where she assisted printing facilities with identifying and implementing sustainable best practices. In 2014, Brittany began volunteering with SGP as the Program Manager and participating on SGP's Technical and Marketing Committees.
If SGP succeeds in reaching these goals, the impact on the environment will be significant. Currently, certified facilities benefit the environment in the following ways:
- 62% of certified facilities divert a higher volume of materials from landfills and incineration by increasing recycling.
- 62% of certified facilities significantly reduce VOC emissions.
- 52% of certified facilities report reduced energy consumption, lowering operating costs and waste.
"Our 2017 objectives are challenging," says Sutphin. "We are committed to creating a more sustainable supply chain for print buyers and helping print facilities grow by becoming certified sustainable printers."
Print facilities interested in eliminating waste, reducing energy consumption, transitioning to sustainable materials, and winning new business from organizations that require sustainable printing practices from their suppliers should visit www.sgppartnership.org/certification/ to learn more about becoming SGP certified in 2017.