The report describes Sun Chemical’s emphasis on sustainability in the way it develops, manufactures and distributes its products while also showing how it works with customers and suppliers to improve their sustainability goals.
The 2019 report shares key research and development highlights and Sun Chemical’s contributions to a more sustainable future, such as:
- a long-term strategic target to reduce manufacturing CO₂ levels by at least 30 percent by 2030
- waste reduction programs focused on improving the utilization of incoming materials, promoting recycling and optimizing the end of life of a product or material
- a silver corporate social responsibility rating by EcoVadis, a 3rd party organization that measures a variety of categories, including environment, labor and human rights, ethics, and sustainable procurement
- partnerships with various industry associations and consortia focused on large-scale sustainability objectives
- products that are developed with bio-renewable raw materials
- solutions designed to improve PET bottle recycling and composting
“The 2019 sustainability report shows that we’re taking the initiatives necessary to achieve our sustainability goals and in turn, helping our customers also reach their eco-efficiency targets,” said Michael Simoni, Global Product Stewardship Leader, Sun Chemical. “By introducing strategic programs, partnering with industry organizations and implementing solutions to reduce our energy consumption, Sun Chemical is working towards the greater goal of reducing CO₂ emissions and contributing to a more sustainable environment.”
The Sun Chemical sustainability report is available to customers and can be requested online at https://www.sunchemical.com/sustainability/.
Sun Chemical’s sustainability policy stresses its responsibility to raise awareness about environmental issues in the graphic arts industry. Product stewardship and risk management are also important components of the policy with a commitment to take an analytical-based approach to its efforts.
Providing customers with enhanced sustainability of their processes and end products is the ultimate goal of Sun Chemical’s sustainability policy. In order to reach that goal, Sun Chemical will use rigorous development processes and analytical tools to evaluate and improve the eco-efficiency of both its manufacturing procedures and products.
This data-driven approach in the policy means Sun Chemical will be able to set improvement targets for its processes on energy and water consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, and solid waste emissions as well as develop products with a structured approach that includes risk management and eco-efficiency improvements as criteria.
Focusing on “Getting More—Using Less–Eco-efficiency,” Sun Chemical’s sustainability policy underscores its proactive role in minimizing the life cycle footprint of its products and its customers’ impact on the environment.