Product differentiation is key to sales success in today's crowded marketplace. One way to break through the clutter and grab the attention of potential customers is through packaging that "pops." Lofton Label, a provider of custom labels and printing products in Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA, offers these guidelines to consider when creating packaging that gets noticed:
1. Location, location, location. Think about where the package will be located. Will it be on a store shelf or rack? Will it be stored outside? Will it be refrigerated or frozen?
2. First impressions count. What do you want customers to see and remember for next time?
3. Pop it, peel it, flip it. How will customers interact with the label? Does it need to educate and inform or provide instruction?
4. "Pick me! Pick me!" How can the label get the product into the customer's hand and, ultimately, into the cart? Perhaps the label will feature a coupon or other offer.
5. Make it simple, make it fun. Make the package inviting and attractive, yet easy to read.
6. Color coordinate. Choose a color scheme that works with your product. If you are packaging an organic product, it might be more appealing to customers to stick with neutral Earth tones. If your product is fighting for shelf space, a neon label might help your product stand out.
7. Have a purpose. Why are you selling this product, and whom are you selling it to? Keep in mind that the package is the gateway to the product.
8. Change isn't always bad. Technology changes all the time. Take a look at the printing equipment you are using to create the label - is it the technology that will give you the best results?
9. Be materialistic, at least when it comes to labels. Consider shiny metallic, glossy laminate, or textured plastic. What material are you printing your label on? Take into account the feel and appearance of materials to find the right one for your package and product.
10. It's more than a label, it's your brand. Make sure your labels are consistent, accurate, compelling and true to your brand.
Lofton Label's 10 tips to make packaging 'pop'
Product differentiation is key to sales success in today’s crowded marketplace.
Published January 20, 2014
blog comments powered by Disqus