Labels and packaging are the next VACTA frontier. A printed code or phrase enables consumers to effortlessly start engaging meaningfully with brands. Besides being easy, “it’s cool, novel and fun,” notes Respond Fast founder Mike Gunderson. “Smart speaker owners will attest that asking their smart speaker or voice assistant questions about what they’re watching on TV or discussing is frictionless and typically faster than inputting something into a phone or calling up a website.”
Gunderson adds, “Ever-advancing technology has made fast, easy access routine. But, the concept of ‘fast and easy’ continues to evolve. For example, inputting text into a smartphone or a laptop is fast becoming yesterday’s somewhat belabored standard. Voice activation and response are today’s convenient up-and-coming norm.”
There are a host of opportunities with this technology such as sharing a brand’s compelling history and story to connect emotionally with an audience. For Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes brand, creating a multi-media experience of “Tony the Tiger telling a story” can prove entertaining and engaging. Offering recipes that help extend the consumer’s interaction with the brand is another way to use voice response to help build interest and loyalty with brands through packaging.
Product safety, product warnings, detailed dosage information and providing accurate, verifiable information about health claims have become increasingly important. Extending consumer knowledge and building confidence are two of the most important ways voice response can help brand reputation and popularity, and determine whether or not someone engages with a brand label or package.
Consider the following scenario. A CBD oil user has just viewed a TV commercial addressing health claims of CBD products. Their oil container featuring a VACTA code to get more information sits nearby. The now-curious consumer can simply tell a smart speaker or voice assistant the code that will get them to the information they seek. This is far less cumbersome than having to start researching their product’s claims via online search—which can be confusing and bring up conflicting results.Besides serving as a call to action to take advantage of an offer, take a survey or register a review, use of a VACTA label/package code or phrase can connect consumers with increasingly vital health and product safety information.
1. Verifying that the product is authentic and meets quality control standards. Counterfeiting protection with unique codes on each container can enable consumers to track product manufacturing and production processes.
2. Checking in on breaking news, damning reports and other in-the-moment updates. Subject to timely marketer updates, consumers can get the latest information just by launching their code or phrase. For example, reports about everything from product claims and counterfeiting issues to product recalls can be reliably accessed easily.
3. Getting the latest product reviews and ratings. Marketers updating their product statistics can give consumers a near real-time way to evaluate and assess. For example, shoppers looking at products in-store can simply speak a label/packaging code or phrase into their voice assistant to access a repository of information—eliminating time-consuming and sometimes frustrating online searches. That can make the difference between buying or passing on a product.
4. Connecting to help immediately while engaging with a product. Through the VACTA label or code, people assembling, programming or otherwise setting up a product can access a help center immediately. For those already confused or frustrated with the situation, this can provide valuable customer service at just the right time.
5. Giving consumers a near real-time way to register opinions, leave reviews or otherwise evaluate a product. How many people who currently won’t take the time to write a review or opinion will interact if able to utter a code or phrase and get a prompt to voice their comments in the moment?
Setting up and using Respond Fast is easy and user-friendly, as well. Either visit respondfast.com or just tell your smart speaker to “Launch Respond Fast” and use the keyword “Trial.” Users can then follow the prompts. Once the setup is complete, use the dashboard to create the campaign tied to the appropriate labels/packaging. Then, launch the campaign, analyze results, and refine/enhance subsequent efforts.