The arena will feature the industry 4.0 automated self-adhesive digital label printing production process. Innovative live demonstrations will be supported by a total of 13 leading industry hardware, software and materials suppliers, including Xeikon and its Aura Partners.
The process, which encourages audience participation, will cover:
- Interactive order creation with a CERM MIS system managing data and files
- Job preflight from Esko’s powerful prepress tools that will send files straight to the Xeikon X-800 digital front end where all the process and print instructions will be processed on the FDA-approved, dry toner Xeikon CX3 digital label press integrated with Xeikon laser diecutting unit
- Inspection by an AVT camera on the grafotronic, which is linked to the MIS system, will automatically stop the machine whenever a defective label is detected so that any necessary repairs can take place
- Automatic waste removal by the Matho Cuttobag waste management system that allows continuous, uninterrupted production
- Unique roll coding for warehousing via Xeikon Metadata, delivery and customer invoicing using customer information supplied by the MIS system
Three 30-minute demonstrations will be held on the first two days of the show at 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm, and a further two on the last day at 11 am and 1 pm. Each session will be shown simultaneously on large-screen video, affording visitors a birds-eye view.
“We are delighted to have been chosen as an industry-leading supplier to showcase future-proofing technologies that take automating self-adhesive label application production to the next level,” says Danny Mertens, Xeikon's corporate communications manager.
Mike Fairley, Automation Arena lead and Labelexpo strategic consultant, adds, “In an era of ever-decreasing run lengths, production bottlenecks, plus shorter lead and delivery times, it seems certain that increasing automation in tomorrow’s label and shrink sleeve plants will become a necessity for their successful performance and profitability. The Automation Arena will provide an important showcase at Labelexpo Americas 2018 of just what is now becoming feasible.”
Automation Arena is free to attend for all Labelexpo Americas 2018 registered visitors.
Xeikon’s future-proofed automation in the label production process will be further showcased by its aXelerate solutions and premium services offering. This approach to total customer service is handled by a dedicated team that supports label converters in setting up, optimizing and meeting all their label production needs – including prepress, workflow, substrates, applications, printing and finishing.